So I sculpted the beautiful column in Zbrush, and was pleased with result.
After some trial and error and lots of crashing due to a really high polycount, I managed to export it into Maya. Here are my notes on how I exported my texture maps.
This was looking decent in Maya, so I used Maya’s “Send to Unreal” feature, thinking I was in the home stretch, but this was the result.
I tried simply exporting it as an FBX for Unreal, but it didn’t send the textures over (see column on the left).
One of the issues I identified was that my computer kept crashing when I tried to do thing like export UVs, so I went back to a longer set of notes I took in class, and found the helpful “work on clone” option. This worked like a charm. I was able to export Texture Maps and a Normal map. Rather than using the GoZ feature, I exported as OBJ and opened it it Maya. I then created a new Lambert material and applied the Texture and Normal (bump) maps from the files I had exported. Looking pretty good!
I used Maya’s “Send to Unreal” button, but it once again had disastrous results. Something is not wrapping the UVs correctly with this method.
This time in Maya I exported the column manually as an OBJ. Although it was laying on it’s side when I imported it into Unreal, the textures were correct and I simply had to rotate it into position.
This seems to have done the trick! From now on I will export/import things manually as OBJs rather than trust the built-in exporter buttons in the software.