I had a lot of trouble with the UVs on my first fish; apparently I had two identical copies of the fish occupying the same space and time. I tried for a while to figure out how to correct this, but in the end decided that I wasn’t really that happy with the box modeling of that fish – it seemed too square and blocky, so I wondered what it would be like to model a whole new fish using a cylinder instead.
I was much happier with this version of the fish, which took me about two hours to complete. I proceeded to unwrap it in Maya, with a lot of trial and error. I eventually got a UV “skin” that seemed to work, and began painting a texture in Photoshop. As you can see it still has a ways to go, but I was pretty excited to get this far. Some of my fins are facing the wrong way, but this gives me a good idea of where to go next. The hardest part will be getting a realistic texture, considering all the scales and colors, but this is my prototype for now.
I began working on the mandala disc.
Here is the scene with the fish, lily pads, lotus and mandala all together.